Saturday, February 19, 2011

Thoughts Based on Truth

So how do we know which of our thoughts are true and which of our thoughts are not true? Or another way to say this is . . . how do we know which of our thoughts are based on Truth?

These days, I determine the veracity of my thoughts by whether or not I have energy/strength when those thoughts present themselves. So for instance, if the fog characterized by "I'm so lazy I never get anything done" engulfs me and the result is I have no energy/strength and I am demoralized, the odds are that those thoughts are not thoughts based on Truth - I might not be getting anything done, but it is not because I'm lazy.

Or you can also come to truth through the back door. I note when I have energy/strength and then I work backwards and track what my thoughts were during that time of energy/strength.

This is another example of what Scripture means when it says, "I set before you life and death, choose life that you my live." Choose thoughts that give you strength and energy - choose life.

2 Comments:

At March 4, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Raleigh Dentist said...

Yet some times thoughts based on situational or seasonal time periods (which make them truth currently) affect our thoughts and actions that impact long term. So how do we cope with situational or seasonal truths we do not like/accept.

 
At May 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Robin said...

Noah, I'm sorry for the gap I created by withdrawing. (I periodically withdraw). Can you be more specific?

Like you said, there are things about us that are true, but not good. There is a difference, though, between things that are true and "truth". It is true, I act defensively at times. But in my mind, I go from that, to the supposed "truth" that I'm inadequate, which is not "truth".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home