Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ongoing Narrative

Reynolds Price wrote, "The fact that my legs were subsequently paralyzed by 25 X-ray treatments ... was a mere complexity in the ongoing narrative which God intended me to make of my life."

What a fantastic way to live! Paralyzed legs are a "complexity in the ongoing narrative which God intended me to make of my life." So my narrative is mine to write - there are complexities and there are givens, but I am responsible to arrange them in such a way that I produce a narrative called "my life".

Many pieces are offered - most of the time I don't get to decide what is offered, but I do get to decide which ones I pick up from the pieces that are offered and then I get to decide what I will do with the ones that I pick up - the result is a picture/story I form/write; ultimately for my own satisfaction. Sometimes, when it is done well the result is called peace; other times it is called contentment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home