Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Way Home

Every Saturday night I have the supreme pleasure of having my 2 year old granddaughter spend the night with me. Last night, when I tucked Tavish in bed, she said to me, "Pray, Mamie". Something inside of me wondered why would praying be important to a 2 year old?  How does a 2 year old know what praying is? How does a 2 year old know who I'm talking to? Would her response be the same if instead of saying, "Dear Jesus, I pray that Tavish will know You and love You and obey You," I said, "Dear Santa Claus, help Tavish be good so she can get toys at Christmas!"? Would she say to me every Saturday night, "Talk to Santa Claus!"?

I don't think so. And yet, at this point, in her little mind, the words God and Jesus and Santa Claus can't possibly have any meaning to her - they are just sounds and names she has heard spoken.

And yet, she wants to talk to Jesus. Maybe something else is going on. Maybe the God Spirit in Tavish loves the God Spirit in Jesus, the God Spirit present in praying. Maybe there is Something in Tavish that recognizes the name of Jesus and recognizes her first Parent, her first Home and is wanting to find her way back Home through prayer.

Is that too much of a stretch? Cognitively it is, but Spiritually? No. Two year olds are closer to knowing The Way Home then we'll ever know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home