Saturday, May 14, 2011

Created Inadequate

I am always chagrined when I hear my friends talking about the things they tell their children to prepare them for life ... usually because I didn't tell my children those things and it would have been really good if I had.
So I'm continully bumping into my lack of "concreteness"; I'm continully bumping into the limits of "abstractness". Abstract parents are skimpy when it comes to giving their children practical advice.
So I feel the panic rise when I come face to face with my inadequacies. And then I "self soothe"; then I do for me what I would do for others. I comfort, I soothe.
I tell myself, "You're right - it really would have been better had you been better in that area. (I agree with my enemy.) But this is what it means to be interconnected. You now need others to give what you could not give to your children. We were made to be whole only in the context of others. This is what that truth feels like."
So I take a deep breath, release a sigh of relief and go my merry way, (almost).

1 Comments:

At May 14, 2011 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Tricia said...

Todays words of practical advice... may not have been the "right" advice when you were teaching your children, or for your particular young people! Times/generations evolve and as things change so parents need to impart various or different things... I also believe the Lord nudges us with what is right/best for our children, in our time; they must learn what is best for the children they raise. What you are seeing and realizing might have been good advice for your children you didn't see then... may today be just right for you to teach your grandchildren. I learned things from my grandparents, words of wisdom & insight, I still treasure! You turn isn't up, Robin!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home