Saturday, September 1, 2012

Today is the Day of Salvation

For many years, my friend was a part of an ideal (and mature-ish) Charismatic group. Like all Charismatic groups, we positioned ourselves to wait on God to receive words and impressions and healings, etc. (an apophatic way of relating to God). When she moved to Florida, she entered a desert that, like all deserts, was hard to navigate (and survive). While talking to her, she mentioned how few and far between the Impressions from God were and how she was languishing.

I reminded her of the Pool of Bethesda where people waited for years for the waters to be stirred (signifiying a move of God, an impression from God, a visitation). I suggested that when Jesus lifted one of the paralyzed ones up, He could have been saying to him, "Today (and everyday) is your day of salvation. Everything you need is within you. I am within you. Walk. Walk today. Walk everyday."

Her walking would involve things like, instead of waiting for God to tell her that she was "accepted in the Beloved", she would often, during the day, remind herself in a dozen different ways, how special she was and how wonderful she was and how the future was full of hope. She would learn to "walk".

I love my Charismatic family. I loved those days. But I am also glad that I no longer have to wait for a "visitation" to walk. My salvation is within.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home