Friday, May 27, 2011

Depraved?

I'm not buying the "I'm not worthy" doctrine anymore. I'm not buying the "I'm depraved" doctrine. The doctrine may have had power because the logic may have been that if I wasn't depraved, then God could not be wonderful. In other words, we were taught that our very depravity made God look real good. His words were that even sinners love their friends, but only God-like people loved their enemies. So we had to become God's enemies in order to make God look good.

I'm not buying it.

But here is what I am buying. God has a lot more to offer than we can possibly absorb. Our capacity to absorb God needs altering. In that sense we are inadequate. We are broken, but that is universes away from depraved. A baby lacks the capacity to absorb all that it means to be adult, but that doesn't make a baby depraved.

(Wonder if I would change my mind if I had been the victim of a heinous culture or crime?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home