Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dissolved into Irrelevancy

"So I set my face" towards change and growth and was walloped by hopeless/helpless blankets of emotion. And of course, at the time, it was not emotion; it was reality. What I am feeling is who I am and always has been.

That's not a problem except when what I am feeling is more than I can take; except when what I am feeling takes more courage than I have; except when what I am feeling immobilizes me. (No wonder people don't feel their feelings. They don't have the skills to know what to do with them when they are overwhelmed by them!)

So I am meditating with our Sunday night group, and God says so simply, "Just because you are feeling hopeless doesn't mean you (as in, identity) are hopeless." And I thought, "Oh, that's right. My feelings are not an accurate protrayal of my identity. I can feel hopeless and it just be a feeling. I can feel hopeless and that doesn't mean that Robin is hopeless."

So I put my metaphoric arms around my feelings of hopelessness and helplessness and hold them close until they dissolve into irrelevancy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home