Monday, April 13, 2015

Confession - Detaching or Embracing?

So I've been told that one way to view "confession of sins" is to view it as a practice that teaches us to  "detach from one's thoughts". In other words, if we successfully detach from our thoughts, then when our thoughts tell us "we have sinned" and we detach from them, then that means we are not "sinners".

So there is a lot of merit to "we are not our sins".

But the flip side to "detaching from our thoughts" is, if we detach from the thoughts that tell us we have sinned, we also have to detach from the thoughts that tell us we are fine.

I would advocate for a different approach. I would champion "confession of sins" because it teaches us to embrace our shadow side; it teaches us that if we go into the world of good and bad, right and wrong, then we have to embrace both.

If our shadow side is when we constrict around our virtues, then when I locate my shadow side (i.e. confess my sins), then I am on my way to finding my virtue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home